Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Orphan Blocks Again

I am digging deep into the orphan block bin.  Anything that doesn't get used up will be turned into more crumbs or strings.  With company coming, the clearing out is highly motivated.  I did some more organization, hanging and labeling finished flimsies to be quilted later as I broke down the quilting machine to set up a bed again in the guest bedroom.  I was amazed at how much dust quilting generates.  The whole process had me sneezing.  
While I was sewing on Sunday, I found these extra test blocks of Bonnie Hunter's Pineapple Blossom pattern that I use to make a green and brown baby quilt for a very organic baby shower gift.  It was a huge hit!  I think it was 8 years ago though, so it was time to do something with the extras.  So with a quick layer of thinsulate and some simple quilting and binding, I now have two new pot holders to use in the kitchen.  

8 comments:

Deb A said...

I think I need to purchase some of that thinsulate.... maybe I can move some orphan blocks out of the sewing area.

Ellen said...

Great idea to use up orphan blocks!

Anonymous said...

Potholders are the best! People can always use them.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck with getting your "guest room" in order. Enjoy your company!

Pamela Arbour said...

Good idea on the potholders. Can we have too many of them? Nice colors too. They won't show food stains. LOL

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a good idea! I have some of those orphan blocks, too - and I could use some new potholders!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Perfect idea! Send me some of your motivation ok??

Kate said...

A great use for left overs! Good luck with all the clean up. Sounds like you'll be ready to make even more progress once you are able to set up again.