Friday, April 9, 2010

Not Quite a Quilt #1


I have a set of 6 inch "I Spy" blocks that were hanging out in the orphan block stack. There are 15 sets of 4 that have already been sewn together. I pulled a green for sashing and a yellow for the corner stones. Using the Sock Monkey Quilt as my yardstick for a twin size donation quilt, it looks like it could use one more row to bring it to the right size. I'm all out of lime green, so I guess I need some more of that too. I probably have 20 fabrics somewhere that could work in the I spy theme, but I'm not sure if I want to pull and cut right now. Maybe I'll save that part for tomorrow.

One of my coworkers has a wife that underwent a surgery for breast cancer yesterday. She is facing a grueling round of chemotherapy now. I've never met her, but I still thought it might be nice to make her a quilt. It would be a way to show support for my fellow teacher if nothing else. Also, making a quilt has become my first impulse for most situations. Baby, illness, service project -- sounds like you need a quilt for that. I pulled these four possible color combinations. I go back now to my familiar complaint about making quilts for other people: it is really hard to guess what someone else will like. Anyone else have a vote? Starting in the upper right hand corner and going around clockwise; option 1 is a blue floral stripe, option 2 is a pale pink sage and teal paisley that looks like owls to me, option 3 is a pink and yellow floral paisley with a coordinating stripe, option 4 is pink and purple coordinated line of florals, butterflies and stripes. I'm thinking of doing a simple star block with an alternating Irish Chain block similar to Twilight.

5 comments:

Tamara Lund D.C. said...

I would go with option #3. Anything pink, especially to support BC awareness and research. But any of those combos would look good with that pattern.

Amy said...

I know pink is very representative of breast cancer awareness, and although there isn't much pink in it----that third collection is REALLLLY shouting "pick me!" to me. I usually am not a paisley person, but that fabric is BEAUTIFUL. And with that light blue......just lovely!

Amanda said...

I'd go with the paisley. I think it's Option 2, though Amy seem s to be calling it option 3! It's the fabric in the lower right of the picture.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love that line "sounds like you need a quilt for that"!!
Why not ask what her favorite colour is and go from there?

Lori said...

Whichever you pick will be lovely. I am partial to butterflies because they represent "new beginings" and unfortunately thats is what she has been dealt. She is going to begin her fight! You could name the quilt " Mariposa" I will let you google that!