Saturday, April 5, 2008

Leaders and Enders

I went ahead and finished up a couple of Irish Chain blocks from my leaders and enders project with extras from my mystery quilt. I wanted to see what the colors looked like together and get an idea of how the pattern was working out. I think I need to pay more attention to value as I put the four patched together, but I'm still seeing the overall pattern as I look at the layout. This isn't a finish now sort of project. I'm happy to keep it going as leaders and enders, and now I have an idea of how many dark, medium and light squares I need to restock my 2 inch basket. I think this quilt could live in the toy room when it eventually gets done. The bright colors would be happy there.
I went to a quilt show this morning put on by our local quilt guild. Both of my running partners came with me, which I thought was incredibly nice of them, as they are not even quilters. There were so many really beautiful quilts there. I saw several in Bonnie's pineapple star pattern, but not any Carolina Crossroads. Asymmetrical log cabins were very popular, as well as at least four prairie braids. I think someone must have offered a class for so many of the same pattern to show up in the same year. Even so, the color choices and designs were completely different and gave each of them a very different look. I love how you can take a traditional pattern and make it your own.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I've just started doing leaders and enders like this and I'm amazed at the speed they can build up. Your Irish Chain idea is looking good.

Michelle said...

I can see your irish chain coming together...what a great scrappy looking quilt!

Amy said...

HEY! I followed the L-n-E link for the Irish Chain on your WIP list. This looks like the exact Irish Chain *I'm* doing as a L-n-E.!! Did you get the idea from McCall's here?
http://mccallsquilting.com/legacy/vintage12_pattern/ cuz that's where I got mine. I'm not appliqueing the color squares on the white as it suggests though----ick! Rather, I'm just going to cut white strips and piece the color squares to the white rectangles.....